Angus automatic train control trials: locomotive

Angus automatic train control trials: locomotive - click the picture to see it full size

The iron ore block making plant at Washford in 1909

The iron ore block making plant at Washford in 1909 - click the picture to see it full size

Timber ore transfer bins close to the west adit of Coltonpits mine

Timber ore transfer bins close to the west adit of Coltonpits mine - click the picture to see it full size

The arrival of the second demonstration run at Comberow, on 4 July 1907

The arrival of the second demonstration run at Comberow, on 4 July 1907 - click the picture to see it full size

Meetings

 

WEST SOMERSET MINERAL LINE ASSOCIATION


MINUTES OF TRUSTEES’ COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON
16 JANUARY 2015 AT JASMINE COTTAGE, WASHFORD.


Present - Phil Gannon (chair), Garrick Mound, Chris Sampson (minutes), Jonathan Westcott, Tessa Wilson.

1    Apologies – None.

2    Minutes of last meeting on 23 October 2014 - Agreed as true record and signed.

3    Matters arising from Trustees’ meeting on 23 October 2014 – see below.
        Matters arising from AGM on 21 November 2014
            2. Apologies, add Sue Upstone, Robin & Gill Williams.
            10.2 Motion seconded by GM.
            Election of Officers:
CS proposed, seconded PG, that all Officers remain in post and GM be appointed Membership Secretary, all agreed. Chair: Phil Gannon, Vice-Chair: Tessa Wilson, Secretary: Chris Sampson, Treasurer: Jonathan Westcott & Membership Sec: Garrick Mound.

4    Treasurer’s report
      JW reported cash in bank £3,930.73 and walks insurance is due 8 Feb, approx £150. TW requested approval to spend £195 for printing 2000 x 2015 Walks leaflets, all agreed. JW to pursue possible funding for maintenance of West Pier rails (JW email 29 Oct 14 refers).

5    Secretary’s report
    CS has received invitation from ENPA to attend workshop to review their two research frameworks and set priorities for next 5 yrs. JW agreed to represent WSMLA.
    CS encouraged all to attend the Annual South West and Wales Regional Industrial Archaeology Conference (SWWRIAC) 2015 on 18 April in Tiverton. Papers include ‘Mineral Exploitation on Exmoor’ Lee Bray (ENP) and ‘South West Iron Ore’ Mick Atkinson (ex Chair EMRG).

  5A    Membership Secretary’s report
    GM reported, 11 paid up members another reminder will be sent.
     TW will add membership@wsmla.org.uk to Walks leaflet. GM will consider ‘What do we get for our membership subscription?’ and prepare a proposal for next meeting.

6    Websitewsmla.org.uk
CS has received reply from Helen Wheatley HLF saying SCC “are absolutely clear that HLF will require the existing website to be available on line to all users until December 2032 ... it would in some ways be cheaper to establish a new website that did offer this function as an ongoing archive, research hub, rather than attempt to change the existing one ... HLF could consider funding such a project ... Tom Mayberry ... has said that he would be willing to work with you... I would be happy to meet up with you ... to talk through the project and our requirements.” Sharing Heritage grants are between £3-£10k, more info at
http://www.hlf.org.uk/looking-funding/our-grant-programmes/sharing-heritage
RE has obtained 2 quotes for this work, another is awaited. CS & RE are also considering an alternative bid that would include combining the Project and Association websites into one easy to maintain site. RE will obtain necessary quotes and CS will complete application form before both meeting HLF to discuss our bid. It is hoped that the new combined website will be online by the end of the year.   

7    Events
PG reported there was confusion regarding the date of the Jan 2015 walk, although both dates were covered. PG will talk to Dulverton Visitor Centre staff to improve the information passing between both organisations.

Future talks by PG include -
  Bicknoller WI                                                    2 Feb
  Dunster History Society                                24 June
  Bideford U3A                                                    early 2015
Railway Modellers Group, Washford Mill    2015
  Rolle Canal Society                                         May/June

Walks leaflet needs a wider circulation. Additional locations to consider are -
  Westonzoyland pumping station
  Bickleigh railway museum
Blake museum
Somerset museum
  Exmoor Society

8     Mineral Line Trails
    TW circulated draft copies of the 2015 Walks leaflet. Cleeve Abbey exhibition and Watchet Festival are not included, will need separate publicity.
CS reported that Underbridge 10, listed Grade II, has been damaged and is now closed to all traffic including pedestrians.
PG reported that the kissing gate at the entrance to Washford rec. has been replaced.

9    Conservation Issues
    CS circulated copies of the West Somerset Mineral Railway Bill and Act 1855, recently purchased at a local auction. CS noted that Portcullis (Parliamentary Archives catalogue) holds 22 records re. WSMR.

10    AOB – none.

11    Time, date and venue for next meeting  
      3pm on Thursday 19 March at Jasmine Cottage, Washford.
 


 

MINUTES OF THE THIRD AGM OF THE WSMLA

21 November 2014, Roadwater Village Hall

 

1        The AGM was attended by 13  people including 10 members. Present Chris Sampson, Chris Tilley, Robert Edwards, Jim Nicholas, Judy Moss, Peter Moss, Guy Morgan, Roger Fox, Jennifer Fox, Margaret Shaw, Garrick Mound, Jonathan Westcott and Tess Wilson. All were welcomed by T Wilson (Vice Chair) who declared the meeting quorate.

 

2       Apologies were received from Phil Gannon, Mike Jones, Peter Murphy, Colin Draper, Tim Webb, David Dawson and Analyse Yard.

 

3        Minutes of the Second AGM of WSMLA held on 11 October 2013 were approved.

4        Reports

4.1     T W read PG’s Chairman’s report, attached.

4.2     C Sampson, Secretary reported that Trustees are required to meet at least 4 times a year, they have met on 6 occasions and minutes are posted on the WSMLA website.

 

4.3     J Westcott, Membership Secretary, reported there are 17 Association members.

4.4     R Edwards, Webmaster. Reported that we’re still unable to amend the original Project website at westsomersetmineralrailway.org.uk and are waiting for HLF to confirm that it would remain accessible for at least the next 25 years and contact details for the person at SCC who will implement the required updates. Any help adding entries to wsmla.org.uk would be most welcome, it’s not difficult to add items to the website, full instructions are available.

4.5     T Wilson circulated the provisional programme for 2015 walks for comment, once completed it will be available in many local B&Bs, WSMLA.org.uk and other outlets.

5        JW presented the examined accounts for the year ending 30 June 2014 (attached), total funds are £4,091.40. Adoption of Accounts, proposed JW, seconded CS, all in favour.

 

6        P Murphy, external examiner, recommended that we continue to make a clear record of donations received during our walks including date and amount.

 

7        PM is prepared to act as External Examiner next year, all in favour.

8        The following were elected Trustees of the Association for the coming year P Gannon, G Mound, C Sampson, J Westcott, T Wilson. Proposed S Shaw, seconded J Nicholas, all in favour. M Shaw said she wasn’t willing to be a Trustee, but is happy to help, she was an Editor.

9        The next Trustees’ meeting will be at 3pm on 16 January 2015 at Jasmine Cottage, Washford.

10      CS proposed the following resolutions 

10.1    Amend item 11(2) of the Constitution “A quorum is: ten members entitled to vote upon the business to be conducted at the meeting; or one third of the total membership at the time, whichever is the lesser.” Seconded C Tilley, all in favour.

10.2   Amend the Rules, Membership Rates: “Individual: £5, Household: £6, Other Organisations: £10.” Seconded JN, all in favour. Organisations suggested as members were Market House and Minehead Museums, U3A.

 

11       Questions and comments

 

It was suggested that next year’s event should be made more of an event. Hold it in a more central venue eg Watchet Sanctuary during the Autumn half term. Include an open exhibition in the morning, followed by the AGM in the afternoon.

CS had identified a number of activities that need more membership involvement, these could be presented in detail at the next AGM

·                 Roadwater level crossing gates

·                 Incline clean-up

·                 Industrial Archaeology at the Winding House

·                 Improve access along permitted path at top of incline

·                 Maintenance of railway lines at Watchet West Pier

·                 Keeping the website up to date

·                 Conservation of Carnarvon Mine

·                 End to end walk

 

A membership application should be included in all future publications eg flyers, walks leaflet.

 

12      AOB - None.

 

13      Meeting closed and refreshments were enjoyed by all.

 

 


WEST SOMERSET MINERAL LINE ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF TRUSTEES’ COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON
23 OCTOBER 2014 AT JASMINE COTTAGE, WASHFORD.


Present
Robert Edwards, Phil Gannon (chair), Garrick Mound, Chris Sampson (minutes), Tessa Wilson.

1    Apologies - Jonathan Westcott

2    Minutes of last meeting on 21 August - Agreed as true record and signed.

3    Matters arising from Trustees’ meeting on 21 August 2014
•    CS has populated the new << meetings >> webpage from the last AGM onwards.
•    CS will obtain 1000 one sided business cards for £60, all agreed.
•    GM will adapt the GIFT and DONATION forms provided by JW for our use.
•    PG passed copy of letter dated 18.03.14 sent to Tom Mayberry to CS.

4    Treasurer’s report - No report. JW will attend the AGM.
    PG passed £99.40 to TW who will deposit this and cash that TW has collected, into the WSMLA bank account.

5    Secretary’s report – None

6    Website – wsmla.org.uk
CS has chased Helen Wheatley at HLF for a reply re WSMR website. PG agreed to contact Tom Mayberry and arrange a face to face meeting.
CS remarked on a few anomalies re our walks entries on the ENPA website diary, TW will investigate.
RE will confirm who receives emails sent to membership@wsmla.org.uk

7    Events
Cleeve Abbey Local History Weekend went very well (see item in Newsletter), it resulted in donations of a guide pulley from the Incline, railway line from Gupworthy, working model of the Incline and diorama of an iron ore mine.    

At the last bus trip, only one visitor turned up although more had booked with ENP, the bus trip had therefore to be cancelled. The only visitor was taken on the tour in PG’s car. Much discussion followed regarding how we could ensure that those who booked a place on a bus tour actually turned up, but no practical solution could be found. If this problem continues bus trips may have to be withdrawn from our programme.

AGM will be held at 3pm on 21 November in Roadwater Village Hall. CS needs new Newsletter by 1 Nov for inclusion with the AGM invitation, TW. There will be a small exhibition of Mineral Line artefacts and a slide show. CS will obtain refreshments from Village Stores on sale or return.

Copies of newsletter were circulated, TW will incorporate final corrections. TW intends to purchase publisher type software to ease the production of our newsletter.

PG will be giving talks at Stampford Brett and Bideford and taking U3A Minehead geology group on a trip.

8    Mineral Line Trails
    GM suggested we use the equivalent dates for next year’s walks as this. The date of ‘special’ walk during the Exmoor Walking Festival will be agreed with the organiser, a walk on another day that month will be included in the Walks leaflet. It was suggested that Mrs Maunder, Heather House, Mr Theed & Goosemoor Station be sent the Walks leaflet.

9    Conservation Issues
Various locations were discussed as possible places where our artefacts could be exhibited, but the cost of purchasing our own building and its staffing would be very difficult. An arrangement with the County Museum may be a possible solution. PG asked to include this in our discussions with Tom Mayberry.

10    AOB - none

11    Time, date and venue for next meeting  
    AGM at 3pm on 21 November 2014 at Roadwater Village Hall.

 

 

 


WEST SOMERSET MINERAL LINE ASSOCIATION                 

MINUTES OF TRUSTEES’ COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON
21 AUGUST 2014 AT JASMINE COTTAGE, WASHFORD.


Present
 Phil Gannon (chair), Garrick Mound, Chris Sampson (minutes), Jonathan Westcott, Tessa Wilson.

1    Apologies
    Robert Edwards

2    Matters arising from Trustees’ meeting on 5 June 2014
•    ‘West Somerset Mineral Railway’ features on p28-33 of Holland J (2013) Exploring Britain’s Lost Railways, London: Times Books. Available from PostScript.co.uk for £12.99 publ £30.
•    CS will populate the new << meetings >> webpage from the last AGM onwards.
•    CS will obtain 200 business cards for Trustees to use
•    JW to provide donation form.
•    PG to provide Sec with copy of letter sent to Tom Mayberry.

3    Treasurer’s report
Cash in the bank £4,101.40. Annual Accounts are complete and will be passed to Peter Murphy for Independent Review before presentation at AGM.
JW gave notice that he will resign as Treasurer at AGM.

4    Secretary’s report
CS and PG met with Shirley Blaylock (SB) at Winding House today.    
Need to clear Permissive Path from Winding House towards Sminhays Cottages.
ENPA will secure gate to its hinges across the brake cable duct.
Following will be included in Scheduled Monument Application, work to be carried out during Spring 2015.
•    Investigate hole at rear of Winding House and backfill.
•    Repair forge – PG will prepare a proposal.
•    Pointing above window lintels where lead flashing has been stolen.
•    Excavate brake duct and backfill or cap.

5    Website – wsmla.org.uk
CS has written to Helen Wheatley at HLF re WSMR website.

6    Events
20 Sept    Chumleigh History Society
4&5 Oct    Cleeve Abbey exhibition. Need Free Press & Parish Mag adverts when date agreed PG    

All agreed that Special group walks will in future incur a min charge of £50, alternatively join one of the published walks for free. This will also apply to Watchet Festival and Exmoor Walking Festival.

AGM to be held <15mths from 11 Oct 13, quorum is 10; 14 days notice to members to include date, time, place. Agreed 2014 AGM will be held at 3pm on 14 Nov in Roadwater Village Hall. It’s hoped that the new Newsletter will included with the AGM notification.

NEWSLETTER copies to TW by 10 Oct. Suggested articles are -
Walks & Specials report      TW
Eisen Hill Walk    GM
Bridges    PG
Luggage Trolley    PG

7    Mineral Line Trails - nothing further to report

8    Conservation Issues
Carnarvon Mine – SB reported that Mrs Maunder has twice found a rope hanging into a shaft. ENP will improve the fencing around the shafts. ENP expect that the Engine House to be conserved by covering with earth, leaving part exposed for interpretation.

9    AOB - none

10    Time, date and venue for next meeting  
    3pm on 23 October 2014 at Jasmine Cottage, Washford.

 

 


 WEST SOMERSET MINERAL LINE ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF TRUSTEES’ COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON
5 JUNE 2014 AT JASMINE COTTAGE, WASHFORD.


Present
Robert Edwards, Phil Gannon (chair), Garrick Mound, Chris Sampson (minutes), Jonathan Westcott, Tessa Wilson.

1    Apologies
    David Dawson

2    Matters arising from Trustees’ meeting on 13 March 2014
See below.

3    Treasurer’s report
Cash in the bank £4,007.40.

4    Secretary’s report
•    CS has replied to RWN’s email dated 25 May re Winding House & Incline. Committee are concerned about the condition of both. Once extent of required work is established, CS to email all WSMLA contacts and place invitation in Free Press & Market House Museum encouraging all to join us to carry out the work.
•    CS will obtain 200 business cards for Trustees to use.

5    Website – wsmla.org.uk
•    PG has written to Tom Mayberry, SCC but hasn’t received a reply. CS asked PG for a copy of the letter. PG and RE have spoken to Jane de Gruchy but are getting nowhere. CS is in correspondence with HLF regarding any website conditions placed on recipients of WSMR Project award. PG will ring RWN. Should consider informing County Gazette if no progress made. All agreed we must keep up the pressure. Eventually we’ll need funding if we agree to combine and enhance both websites.
•    All were encouraged to add items to the WSMLA website, it’s not difficult. Consider including ‘typical walks through the year’ instead of dated walk reports.
•    CS will populate the new << meetings >> webpage from the last AGM onwards.

6    Events
10 June    Crewkerne U3A
18 June    Cutcombe History Society – proceeded by Eisen Hill Mines recce.
20 June     Taunton U3A
9 August    Sussex Railway Ramblers
August        Summertime in Watchet – TW to follow up
13-14?    Sept    Cleeve Abbey exhibition. Need Free Press & Parish Mag adverts when date agreed PG
20 Sept    Chumleigh History Society    

7    Mineral Line Trails - nothing further to report

8    Conservation Issues
•    PG reported that he has received a taper rail from the points at Comberow, was given by local resident who came on a recent walk.
•    Dave Stuckey, Roadwater has offered PG a 12ft length of rail.
•    JW will provide Donation form used by Market House Museum which can be sent to our donors.

9    AOB
GM reported a number of interesting items that have references to the Mineral Line –
•    ‘West Somerset Mineral Railway’ features on p28-33 of Holland J (2013) Exploring Britain’s Lost Railways, London: Times Books.
•    Swain House Watchet review says “Be sure to do the Mineral Line walk ...” p79, Telegraph Magazine - 17 May 2014.
•    Image of Burrow Farm engine house used on the front page of Somerset Free Press dated 23 May 2014.

10    Time, date and venue for next meeting  
    3pm on 21 August 2014 at Jasmine Cottage, Washford TA23 0NW.

 

 


WEST SOMERSET MINERAL LINE ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF TRUSTEES’ COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON
13 MARCH 2014 AT ROADWATER VILLAGE HALL.


Present
Robert Edwards, Garrick Mound, Chris Sampson (minutes), Tessa Wilson (chair).

1    Apologies
David Dawson, Phil Gannon & Jonathan Westcott

2    Matters arising from Trustees’ meeting on 30 Jan 2014
If the Association joins with another group we may get more people involved. If we do get more people, there must be lots for them to do. Most likely candidates are WSR & SIAS.

3    Treasurer’s report
6 members have not renewed their 2013 subscriptions.

4    Secretary’s report inc. Correspondence
    CES will obtain 200 business cards for Trustees to use.

5    Website – wsmla.org.uk
CES will populate the new << meetings >> webpage from the last AGM onwards.
CES has sent emails to our three consultants asking if the HLF grant required that the Project website be preserved and developed. PG will then write to Tom Mayberry, SCC.

6    Events
    Tues 18 March    Leaflet exchange 11am-2.30pm. TW will arrange.
    Sun 27 April        Long Walk – 22 booked already.
    August            Sussex Railway Group
    Thurs 18 September    Chumley History Society    

7    Mineral Line Trails
GM has written a script to accompany the Chargot Woods walks. GM will circulate to all.
TW will prepare script for Ralegh’s Cross Mine walk.
CES to ask RWN for hardwood plaques inscribed << www.wsmla.org.uk >> to attach to way markers.
Recce required before Long Walk on 18 April.

8    Conservation Issues
Miners Dry, Burrow Farm - photos have been sent to RWN.

9    AOB – none
 

10    Time, date and venue for next meeting  
    3pm on 5 June 2014 at GM’s home, Jasmine Cottage, Washford TA23 0NW.

 

 


WEST SOMERSET MINERAL LINE ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF TRUSTEES’ COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON
28 NOVEMBER 2013 AT ROADWATER VILLAGE HALL.

Present
Robert Edwards, Phil Gannon (chair), Garrick Mound, Chris Sampson (minutes), Jonathan Westcott, Tessa Wilson.

1    Apologies - received from Rob Wilson-North

2    Matters arising from Trustees’ meeting on 17 Oct 2013 - See Agenda items below.

3    Treasurer’s report
1.    Cash in bank £4,219.90
2.    Membership renewal letters will go out on 18 Dec.

4    Secretary’s report inc. Correspondence - Letter of thanks received from WAC Theed.

5    Website – wsmla.org.uk
1.    PG will contact Tom Mayberry, SCC re. Project website
2.    All Trustees are encouraged to add items to the website, RE will tidy up any entries if this is required. RE can issue individual passwords to all so that changes can be tracked.
3.    RE will create new webpage “meetings”. CES will populate this from the last AGM onwards.
4.    CES to send JW info re. updating Somerset Routes website.

6    Events
1.    PG has contacted WSR 3 times re. future bus/train excursions, but has had no response. Our own last bus trip was very successful, better as it was on a Saturday. Most of our bus trips will now be on Saturdays.
2.    Mike Jones has asked us to lead walk for Taunton U3A, Mike will give the associated talk.
3.    Also possibility of talk to Bideford U3A.
4.    TW proposed expenditure of £180 to print 2000 2014 Walks leaflets. All agreed. TW has Walks master on CD.

7    Mineral Line Trails
1.    PG has walked Washford to Watchet path, graffiti found on one bench. Path will need to be tidied/strimmed before end of Feb.
2.    PG says that ENPA have identified Mineral Line through National Park from Roadwater to Gupworthy on their Draft Local Plan as of historic interest, to encourage greater access for walking and cycling.
[ note by Sec: see ENPA Policy RT-D13 SAFEGUARDING LAND ALONG FORMER RAILWAYS ]
3.    Incline will need inspection and some clearance by early 2014.

8    Conservation Issues
1.    CES & GM are still compiling photos showing deteriorating condition of Miners Dry at Burrow Farm engine house for RWN.
2.    PG has compiled list of artefacts in private hands. GM will continue to develop inventory form, RE will develop a suitable website application. GM will circulate final version to all once his laptop is repaired.
3.    PG has asked Robert Harrison for a copy of his paper describing his mineral findings at Kennisham Hill site. This could be included in next Newsletter.

9    AOB – none

10    Time, date and venue for next meeting – 3pm on 30 Jan 2014 at JW’s home, 35 Brendon Road, Watchet.

 

 

 


WEST SOMERSET MINERAL LINE ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF TRUSTEES’ COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON
17 OCTOBER 2013 AT ROADWATER VILLAGE HALL.


Present
Robert Edwards, Phil Gannon (chair), Garrick Mound, Chris Sampson (minutes), Jonathan Westcott, Tessa Wilson.

1    Apologies received from David Dawson

2    Election of Officers

1.    There being no other nominations, the current committee agreed to stand for another year Chair: Phil Gannon,     Vice-Chair: Tessa Wilson, Secretary: Chris Sampson, Treasurer & Membership Sec: Jonathan Westcott.
2.    PG to send letter of thanks to retiring Trustee LLV

   Matters arising from 19 July 2013 Trustees’ meeting and AGM

1.    Minutes of the last Trustees’ meeting were accepted with the following corrections: Garrick Mould should be Garrick Mound and at 5.4 pursue not peruse.
2.    AGM, donations received at events should clearly show the amount received, the event and date. Walks for 2014, see item 7.

4    Treasurer’s report
    Cash in bank £4,188.66

5    Secretary’s report inc. Correspondence

1.    An invitation has been received from Moorland Partnership to attend an Accessible Events Workshop on 11 November 2013.
2.    TW will post the latest Newsletter to all members not at AGM.

6    Website – wsmla.org.uk

1.    TW will send latest copies of Information leaflets to RE to add to website. Master CD of Adobe Illustrator files to be held by TW, copy to be kept on RE’s harddrive.
2.    RE contacted Neil Bird, head of IT at SCC who re-enabled access to WSMR Project website. We can’t be trained to alter this website as we’re not SCC employees. RWN to following this up with SCC. RWN says Partnership Funding maybe available for website use. It needs to be clear to users how the Association and Project websites differ, one is alive the other is an important archive. GM will formulate a proposal to place before Tom Mayberry County Heritage Officer, SCC eg. to gain access to Project website to remove all time dependant info and make it clear to visitors how the two websites differ and edit the Project website to add new discoveries and make corrections. RE noted that as each page of the Project website can be accessed independently, each should include an explanation panel. GM will circulate proposal to all, once accepted PG will write to TM with copy to RWN. The aim is to present TM’s response at the next Trustees’ meeting.
3.    CES was pleased to see the new Newsletter at WSMLA.org.uk, minor layout problems will be corrected by TW and uploaded by RE.
4.    CES has noted a few errors with the WSMR entry at somersetroutes.co.uk, he is awaiting a response from their webmaster.
 

7    Events
Next year’s events may include –

1.    Train/bus excursions arranged with WSR, PG to pursue.
2.    A walk as part of the Exmoor Walks Festival from 26 April to 5 May.
3.    Talk to Watchet Methodists on 6 March.
4.    Cutcombe History Society walk around Eisen Hill mine near midsummer.
5.    Exhibition at Cleeve Abbey History Weekend.
6.    Exhibition at Norton Fitzwarren Steam Fair.

7.    2014 Walks Programme

Wed 15 Jan    Raleghs X
Tues 18 Feb.    Chargot Woods
Mon 17 Mar    Bus
Sun 27 Apr    Long Walk
Thurs 15 May    Langham
Fri 6 June    Bus
June        Cutcombe History Society
Sat 12 July    Langham
Sat 26 July    2pm Children’s event at Raleghs X
Augu<